With a turnover of £450M and 3000 staff, the business provides fully integrated solutions from design through to installation across the supply chain.
A wide range of tools and techniques were being adopted across regions, so there was a need to:
- standardise and upskill the Procurement team
- ensure that any training delivered hard returns through new ways of working, behavioural shifts and bottom-line contribution
- benefit individuals through the attainments of professional accreditation to the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply.
What SpringTide did
We established an NVQ programme combining workshops, one-to-one reviews and tutorials, and email and telephone support in order to upskill the candidates and ensure that they all learnt and used standardised procurement tools and techniques.
The Procurement team was successful in obtaining full membership of CIPS:
- 18 achieved MCIPS within 18 months via NVQ Level 4
- 14 achieved NVQ Level 3
- 6 are still studying towards their qualification
- students had to demonstrate as part of their coursework the adoption of standardised Category Management tools and techniques, thus increasing the effectiveness of the procurement department.
“SpringTide provide a challenging approach to NVQ which not only assesses but ensures learning is being achieved and theories are being practically applied in the work place to deliver value for the candidates’ business.” – Divisional Procurement Director
“Mike has been a great motivator and was keen for me to keep the momentum going to achieve the desired outcome. Mike provided great encouragement, support and direction to utilise various tools and techniques which have been of benefit to me personally and the business in achieving success. I found the process highly rewarding and would encourage anyone who is debating whether or not to do NVQs to ‘dip the toe in and just get started’, as the payback from the additional qualifications is far greater than the costs invested.” – Senior Buyer
“Going through the NVQ served as a good reminder of techniques that I may not have been using in my day job as regularly as I should have been, as well as teaching me a thing or two! Mike Utting was an excellent tutor; without his enthusiasm and guidance, I would not have completed it and achieved MCIPS. – Senior Buyer